Maywood Council thinking about security cameras

Postby MaywoodBiz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 am

as seen on NorthJersey.com and in the Community News:

Maywood Council thinking about security cameras
Thursday February 6, 2014, 10:42 AM
BY SUSAN JOY CLARK
STAFF WRITER
Community News

The Maywood Council is looking into the possibility of security cameras in key locations around town.

At a Jan. 28 public meeting, Councilman Al Ballerini gave a report on what the police department would like to do.

"We had the chief of police (David Pegg) in to talk about a pickup truck for consideration by this council... I just wanted to remind everyone that we want to prioritize a couple of projects ahead of that to make sure that the funding is available, specifically, the (security) cameras. We had talked to the chief about expanding the scope of the cameras project to include the parks, the DPW, the swim club, the senior center and the library," said Ballerini.

The councilman explained that he had asked the borough administrator (Roberta Stern) to speak to the police chief about the project since the initial proposal the chief had seen included only four cameras along Pleasant Avenue.

"I spoke to the borough administrator earlier this week, and she is assisting the chief in scoping that out. I think that is the priority, and we should be looking for something that we can send out (to bid.) The size of the project is going to require that," said Ballerini.

In the public portion of the council meeting, a resident, John Brown, had a related question.

"Ballerini, you mentioned Pleasant Avenue as far as the cameras. You (also) mentioned the library... Is that part of the plan, because the library's looking at their own..." said Brown.

The library does some projects with its own separate funding.

Stern and Mayor Gregg Padovano answered his question.

Padovano said, "I think there's going to be a conversation between the borough and the library, since the library is looking at its own camera system, to make sure that we're not being redundant."

The camera project is still in the planning stages.

Email: clarks@northjersey.com
MaywoodBiz
Site Admin

Return to Everything else...