School budget passes, incumbents win seats in Maywood

Here you can find anecdotes and anxieties of life around town.
Forum rules
Post your observations of life around town.

To review the "Terms of Use" which you agreed to, go to: ucp.php?mode=terms

Postby MaywoodBiz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:32 am

Taken from the Community News and NorthJersey.com:

Wednesday, April 27, 2011
BY SUSAN CLARK
Community News (Lodi Edition)
Staff Writer

Maywood residents voted for the $15,142,548 tax levy and returned two incumbents to the Board of Education.

The school budget passed by a 634 to 470 tally and the two incumbents, who ran unopposed, Tom DeSimone (691 votes) and Sam Conoscenti (673) won three-year terms.

Thomas DeSimone

DeSimone has served one, three-year term on the board.

"My biggest accomplishment on the board was overseeing the finance committee and making recommendations to the board," said DeSimone.

DeSimone thought the board as a whole brought fiscal responsibility back. A search for a new superintendent was another major task of the board.

"We have an energetic superintendent with a vested interest in the kids here," said DeSimone.

DeSimone also feels Maywood has a "super strong" business administrator.

He has lived in Maywood since 2002. DeSimone is married and has two sons, a sixth-grader and a fourth-grader. He graduated from Hofstra University and now works as a buyer for Macy's.

For the past four years, he has served as president of MYAA baseball.

DeSimone said he thought the board's fiscal responsibility to the taxpayers in Maywood was the most important issue.

"How do we effectively spend the taxpayers' money to get the biggest bang for the buck for the kids?" he asked. "From my perspective, I hope I have the opportunity to do this as long as the people of Maywood want me to. It's a privilege.

Sam Conoscenti

Conoscenti has served one, three-year term on the board. For the past two years he has served as board president.

"I think we have done many things. We have steered the schools through a superintendent search, and we picked the right man for the job," said Conoscenti.

Conoscenti also expressed that he felt the board has helped the schools get through the budget cuts of the past few years as well as can be expected.

"I think we have been more open to the community at large. I'd say, with the feasibility study that we're conducting right now, we've said that we're through paying an unfair rate for our high school students and we're tired of cutting Maywood programs in order to pay that rate," he said.

Conoscenti stated that he was proud of the school staff who recently went through a Quality Single Accountability Continuum review by the state.

"We came out a high performing district in all areas. That's due to the great staff that we have," said Conoscenti.

Conoscenti has lived in Maywood for 12 years. He is married and has three children: an eighth-grader who will be attending Hackensack High School in the fall, a sixth-grader and a third-grader.
Story tools

Conoscenti is a graduate of Seton Hall University, Bergen Catholic High School and Thomas Jefferson Middle School in Lodi.

"I married a Maywood girl, so we moved to Maywood. It is a special community," said Conoscenti, who grew up in Lodi.

For the past 17 years, Conoscenti has worked at Myron Incorporation in Maywood as a sales partner.

"I am a coach in the MYAA (Maywood Youth Athletic Association.) I coach basketball and baseball. I coach softball in MRPGS (Maywood Rochelle Park Girls' Softball)," he added

Conoscenti has previously served on the boards of both organizations. He is also a C.C.D. (Confraternity of Christian Doctrine) teacher and a parishioner of Our Lady Queen of Peace Church in Maywood.

Conoscenti discussed what he felt were the important issues for the upcoming term.

"Fiscal stability. I think we've navigated through the roughest part of the budget cuts. I'm looking forward to a day when we can say what more can we add for the children of Maywood as opposed to what cut hurts the least," he said.

Conoscenti had good words for the board and school staff.

"I'd also say we have a fantastic board. We work very well together. I think we have top notch administrators. We have in Cecelia Perumal an outstanding business administrator. We have the right man to lead our district in Michael Jordan. I look forward to working with all of them to see that the Maywood kids get the best education possible," said Conoscenti.

E-mail: clarks@northjersey.com
MaywoodBiz
Site Admin

Return to Borough Banter