Fewer Divisions; Calendar

Post requests for new topics, threads, or other tidbits here.
Forum rules
This forum is to be used for requests of new topics, suggestions for the board, and questions pertaining to the use of the bulletin board in general.

To review the "Terms of Use" which you agreed to, go to: ucp.php?mode=terms

Fewer Divisions; Calendar

Postby standardsix » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 am

Hi MBiz

Someone else pointed out there was a topic here or there that led to some confusion.

Sometimes it's just better to gather everything into a few general topics when starting out. You can divide and conquer later as the need arises.

For Events and Happenings, do you have a calendar option on this board? Might be a good way to organize those things, rather than using the post approach alone. Not sure how you'd handle entry, etc, and it might take a little extra time and effort, but the payoff would be a single place to see everything in the calendar view.

Great job though. Coming along very nicely.
standardsix

Re: Fewer Divisions; Calendar

Postby MaywoodBiz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Six,

Thanks for the suggestion. (AND the patronage)

Other than Forum "folders" for each month, I can think of no way to have "divisions"....

If I have a Forum "folder" for A, B, and C for example, someone will undoubtedly need one for D, E, or F.

Did you have anything particular in mind?
MaywoodBiz
Site Admin

Postby standardsix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 am

Fewer topic categories.

Maybe - Maywood Topics, and Everything Else; and then a calendar.

That's over-simplifying a bit, but posts (and forums) lose readers when there are too many places to look.

FYI, that was the problem with the forum I created a while ago. Too many choices. The few posts got cubby-holed in those topics, and sub-topics, and pretty much lost.

Yours is much simpler (and better), but could be even moreso.
standardsix

Postby MaywoodBiz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Six,

Thanks again for the suggestions.... I'll ponder fewer categories.

What I generally do is, from the "board index" I go immediately to the link titled "view active topics".
This takes me to the most active topics and lists the posts in chronological order, regardless of what main topic they're in...

Biz
MaywoodBiz
Site Admin

Postby standardsix » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 am

I will do that from now on. Works very well.

I still think people respond better to fewer divisions, at least to start. As the board grows, the posts themselves will recommend categories that will work the best.
standardsix

Postby standardsix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I see you've consolidated some of the forum topics. That's good. I think you could go even further.

Keep the top two or three, push everything else into one of those.

It's been slow in here but it will pick up. It won't be long before the nj.com posts are getting deleted again. This site needs to match nj.com's simplicity. Maywood isn't that web-savvy. The fewer choices the better.
standardsix

Return to Suggestion Box